[IAEP] Sugar on Wireless

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 26 09:13:43 EDT 2009

Laura Johns wrote:
> The idea of running Sugar on the local network is very appealing. The
> idea of setting up a server is a pretty daunting prospect. Can I do it?
> Would I be allowed to do it? etc...... I would have 16 students max
> running Sugar but there could be another 16 or so in the next classroom.

Unfortunately, it's hard to predict how reliable this sort of setup will
be.  It depends on how many access points there are, and how they are
wired together.  It also depends on the radio performance of your APs and
macbooks.  It even depends on what the walls of your school are made of.
However, I would say that there is at least a good chance that it will work.

> Hmm... I have Sugar on three Macbooks. I removed the sugar labs server
> address from all three and verified that I could get on the internet. I
> could not see the other Mac books.

That is a problem.  How were you running Sugar? In Virtualbox?  If so, one
of our Virtualbox experts will have to work with you on network topology
issues.  (The problem could be that Virtualbox is running the virtual
machine "behind a firewall", rather than giving it direct access to the
local network.)

--Ben