[IAEP] Open-Mesh.com

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Fri Jun 26 07:45:18 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 12:59 +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:13:55PM +0200, Marten Vijn wrote:

> > Generally they use adhoc-mode on the wifi-card with is not supported
> > well on all cards.
> Do you know this for sure for OpenMesh?

no I don't, (I don't have the hardware nor did I test it)

The word "Generally" implies so.

But a referral on thier website:

https://www.open-mesh.com/store/categories.php?category=Who-is-%22Open%
252dMesh%22%3F

refeers to ROBIN  not to 802.11s

http://www.blogin.it/

Further ip-mesh has to be done in ad-hoc modus to have egal peers.

Building a wifi network infrastrucure would not be a mesh. But aslo
would allow dynanic (routing with B.A.T.M.A.N / Robin / olsr /
lvrouted / ospf)

They use the Atheros chipset
> with multiple network interfaces (ath0..ath2) in Linux and always use
> the acronym "AP" when they talk about client-side network interfaces
> (it's an infrastructure mesh).

Unless use 11s you can't have an infastrasture mesh.

Infrastructure means a master and a client. In mesh you have equal
peers.

Atheros depends on a hardware abstraction layer. Depending on this it
can do monitoring / client / ad-hoc /master.

For client mode you can substitute infrastructure/managed
For master mode you can substitute hostap / ap.

Then there are possible combinations 11b/g/a and maybe s/n.

ip-mesg (olsr) ends after 5 hops (20% per hop loss, not usable traffic
after 5 hops).

> 29$ (US version) / 39$ (EU version) for a mesh-capable (even if
"just"
> layer 3), open source powered AP (including an ethernet interface in
> each device) sure seems like a bargain.

Maybe you some free ones from FON, create a benchmark (dbs).

Anyway, I have a FON board and will come with test results later for
bridging-mode :)

I don't have high expectations for ip-mesh nor from radio-mesg. So even
if open-Mesh has 802.11s I would not use in class.

cheers Marten

CU Sascha

Education Project (not a laptop project!) IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org