[IAEP] Notes on Sugar on Virtual Box work session with a Math and Science teacher

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jun 25 19:54:31 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On 25 Jun 2009, at 21:30, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Notes on Sugar on Virtual Box
>
> I am working with Laura, a teacher from Maine teacher who wants to
> use Sugar with her students who already have 1-1 Macbooks.
>
> Host F puts you into full screen mode.
> Host I toggles mouse integration
>
> Sugar works bes without mouse integration. Then you can get to the
> frame.
>
> Doe anyone know how too create an icon that could be put in the doc
> that would start up Virtual box with Sugar with minimal clicks?

VirtualBox didn't make it easy, but with some poking about and smidgen
of AppleScript I came up with this (tested on OS X Leopard, but no
reason to think it won't run with older releases). The AppleScript
just runs one of the VirtualBox terminal commands to start a virtual
machine, it tries to start a virtual machine with a specific name.

For it to work you MUST:

1) Have VirtualBox installed
2) Have an already working Sugar virtual machine image setup
3) Name your VirtualBox virtual machine "soas-strawberry" (with no
quotes)

This just a launcher for the virtual machine, so if you add it to your
Dock you'll see 2 icons while the VM is running (the script with the
"S" Sugar icon, and the VM icon), not sure there is much I can do
about this. Clicking the "S" icon while the VM is already running will
display a dialogue warning you the VM is already running.