[IAEP] Sugar Labs Engineering Steering Committee

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 23 22:34:41 EDT 2009

A couple of time over the last several weeks, there have been some
high level discussions about Sugar Labs technical issues.  The most
recent one has been about differing needs of distributors and core
developers.

If we factor in the current size and expected growth rate of the sugar
ecosystem, it makes sense to start a sugar Labs engineering Steering
committee to set and communicate technical policy decisions.

Basically, I would expect that they operate the same way as the over
sight board.  Be there to make decision when necessary, but mainly
stay our of the way.  I don't believe that Slobs has met for a few
months.  I have sent monthly budgets and asked for approval of the
monthly expenditures by email vote.

Other than that, the community is almost completely self directing.  I
would envision that the technical steering committee would have a
similar role.

The purpose of the steering committee would be to insure that the
different groups in the Sugar ecosystem have a voice in technical
decisions.

To prevent adding too much administrative overhead, I would like to
suggest that the steering committee be established by appointing 6
represenatives.

Deployment
Hardware Vendor
Distribution
2 core developers
Activity

As the project grows, the selection method and size of the steering
committee will change to reflect the communities needs.

david