[IAEP] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 17:04:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 03:37, Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce the first early preview of a new generation
> of SoaS XO-1 images. Those consist not only of the latest and greatest
> Sugar bits, but also a F11 base system and a special OLPC kernel based
> on 2.6.30.
>
> This means now that even power management actually works out of the box.
> There are some other points, for example the mostly working keyboard
> keys. But this is really just a preview!
>
> You'll notice only very few activities in your home view, which is due
> to a mistake in our config files. You'd be able to symlink the folders
> from /usr/share/sugar/honey to ~/Activities, though. This is a known
> issue, but if you come across others, please let us know!
>
> Finally, I'd like to take the chance to thank all the people for their
> tremendous work, especially Martin Dengler and all the folks at OLPC!
>
> Now how can you get that? Just download the following two files:
>
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/xoimages/devxo-1.crc
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/xoimages/devxo-1.img
>
> Put them on a USB key or a SD card, plug them into your XO and execute:
>
> copy-nand u:\devxo-1.img or copy-nand sd:\devxo-1.img
>
> Note that you'll need to have an unlocked XO and the latest firmware!
>
> So. Happy hacking and let us know what you think! :)

What do I think? I think I made a mistake. So, I hosed my machine today...

Following the directions above, it rebooted, showed the spankin' brand
new "sugar" logo upon starting, booted into the sugar interface after
asking for my name and gang colors. ;-)  So far so good.

I went into settings to change the time zone and it said it needed to
restart. OK.

Next, I'm at the Fedora login screen with a pre-printed "soas"
username.  Enter.  Again, back at the sugar screen and all is well.
Then shutdown.  Then power on again.  Uh-oh...  Little XO stick kid
and the startup sound (which always reminds me of a cross between the
Westminster chimes and Close Encounters of the Third Kind sans the
last note) appears as usual, and then:

| Boot failed
| OLPC C2, 256 MiB memory installed S/N SHF80703FA8
| OpenFirmware CL1  Q2E22 Q2E
|
| Powering off in 10 seconds

Booting with the USB key in boots the latest and greatest, and shows
that it remembered my username and gang colors.

Oops. LATEST firmware... Back to the drawing board.  So, download
LATEST a.k.a. q2e41.rom, and check the MD5 and SHA1.  All good.

Booted from the USB key again, hit ESC, and told it to to "flash
u:\q2e41.rom".  It wanted to reboot before doing that, but then
erased, flashed and checked.

With the key in, XO kid, chimes, ignores ESC, shows a "Boot device:
/nandflash ..." with kernel boot options that go by faster than I can
read, and eventually comes up in the new Sugar with my name/colors
still intact.

Without the key, I see the boot failure with the new firmware number
and a 30 second delay before shutdown.

Help?
--
Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo