[IAEP] Google sponsor of All for Good portal, matches volunteers with projects

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:47:15 EDT 2009

Caroline,

I do think you should be the person (or a backup) who registers Sugar
Labs as an organization in these systems. Since VolunteerMatch is the
largest opportunity aggregator in the U.S. with 57,000+ listings, I
recommend getting set up there with a free account. You'll need SL's
mission statement and EIN (tax I.D.). It takes 24 hours to get
approved. If you have time, I'd try to submit tonight to capitalize on
the big traffic spike that will happen from all the announcements next
week at the National Conference on Volunteerism and Service. A really
nice feature of VounteerMatch is that volunteers register too and
profile themselves. If there are people who have expressed in interest
in education and technology, they will be sent an email alert about
any opportunities posted by SL. Serve.gov and AllforGood do not offer
this and because they are new, it's unclear who does the reviewing or
how long it takes to get listed. AllforGood powers Serve.gov and pulls
in from VolunteerMatch anyway.

Here is a good set of basic guidelines for writing volunteer
opportunity positions.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/volunteers/ht/voldespos.htm
http://www.nationalserviceresources.org/practices/17759

Mike