[IAEP] [Grassroots-l] OLPC in Kindergarten

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jun 17 06:16:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:42, Tony Forster<forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> Yes, reminds me of Vanuatu, their local language is spoken the village,
> Bislama is the
> national language but the language of instruction may be English or French.
> I doubt we
> would ever see localisation down to the local language level, maybe 1000
> speakers.

I think we shouldn't abandon the goal of encouraging our learners to
appropriate the software they use. Free software makes it possible for
a single motivated individual to localize all the software she uses
and this makes Sugar a tool for culture preservation and dialog
between cultures.

We have been accused of imperialism and ethnocentrism because we are
supposedly trying to impose our culture and view of the universe on
other cultures. On the opposite, I think we can provide bridges so
that all people can participate in equal terms on global discourse.

It's very interesting to see how Quechua speakers discuss the new
vocabulary for computing terms. For other languages, we'll see
discussions about how to put them in written form. As languages evolve
when used by young people, cheap computers with internet access can
serve as mediums for recording and publication of the older people's
use of language, the regional variations in remote areas, art
expressions becoming in disuse, etc, etc.

Regards,

Tomeu