[IAEP] the FOSS "brand" and Sugar Labs

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:07:50 EDT 2009

I'm pleased we agree:
http://blogs.fsfe.org/fellowship-interviews/?p=4

Actually I think both FOSS and FLOSS will be misunderstood as a dental
product, with no connection to beer. But that's my marketer side
talking.

I use these terms to avoid spending time arguing about F/L vs. OS, I'd
rather talk about the freedoms than labels of the software embodying
the freedoms. And I'd *much* rather talk about how to educate the next
million children (and the millions after) by getting Sugar into
classrooms everywhere (ensuring thus that Learners and teachers
benefit from the freedoms, and benefit others in turn).

I know Richard M. Stallman having interviewed him on several
occasions, he is quite inflexible about nomenclature. I usually think
that uncompromising stance is helpful; others don't like that, yet
make very valuable contributions to software freedom.

Sean

P.S. I think you meant "liberal" in the European sense... that word
has a very different connotation in the USA where the phrase
"laissez-faire" is usually used instead.