[IAEP] Some Comments on Digital Textbooks In California

Kathy Pusztavari kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
Tue Jun 9 13:14:47 EDT 2009

Yeah, I got a few comments.

1. At some point, schools will be so poor, textbooks will no longer be an
issue.  They will be forced to make or use freely created texts.  I see it
already.  My son's Saxon math book literally fell apart.  It is so old, I
had to buy it on ebay for $14.  No kidding.

2.  Saxon math sucks. What the hell are we doing with crappy math books.
Can we take a little from a bunch of books and make our own?  A little of
Saxon, a little of Singapore, a little (well preferably a lot) of SRA
Connecting Math Concepts.  Put em all together, that's what it's all about!

3. As with grades online, if the kid or parents don't have access, print it
for the kid.  Hopefully teachers spend enough time to know each kid and
family situation.  Heck, send out a survey and call the parents that don't
return the survey.  At our school, they try to line up enough computer lab
time but that doesn't alway work out.  Lend out computers with the book
loaded or a CD.  Hey, how bout one of them OLPC XO jobs?

4.  Ensure, as a teacher, you have a printing and paper budget. For goodness
shake! (as my Hungarian father used to say)

5.  As with everything, never assume funding.  Make it work on a shoestring
budget.  Be creative.

-Kathy - mom of Calvin, attemptor of python programming, previous open
"sores" hater, and shoe-string budgeter

  _____