[IAEP] Telementoring, cybertutoring and iMentor

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sun Jun 7 20:34:20 EDT 2009

There has been some promising research about remote mentoring. The study I
read was grad students in History mentoring high school students to do
projects on local history.

The place I've seen it brought to some sort of scale is an organization
called iMentor in NYC.  Again high school students, but I think we can learn
from their implementation:
http://www.imentor.org/imentor_interactive/product_demo.php

I'm bringing it up now because the GPA school has access to
tutoring/mentoring through Harvard because Harvard is building a new
facility in the school's neighborhood (Allston) and its part of Harvard's
community outreach program for the neighborhood.  Another part of the
program is apparently a computer lab that Allston residents can use.

I also think it relates a bit to the students teaching students use case
mentioned today.

One of the  winning plans at Harvard's educational business idea contest was
an idea for a program that paid low performing high school students to tutor
younger students. They said they can pair up a teen reading at a third grade
level with an elementary school kid reading at a 1st grade level and see
both radically improve reading skills.

I think one of the big potentials of computers  have the potential of making
one-on-one tutoring and mentoring practical, scalable, convenient and
affordable.

Does anyone have examples of computer based tutoring/mentoring via computers
or mixed that have research results?

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove