[IAEP] Sugar Labs Colombia

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero rafael at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jun 7 20:07:59 EDT 2009

Hello all.

SugarLabs Colombia is now legally established! and  we are going to tell you
about what we have been doing.
In the last months we have been consolidating works, making contacts, doing
project proposals  divulging, and seeking ways to bring the spirit of Sugar
and free software to children in our country, trying to transmit our ideas
(ideas that cheer us)  to more people. Results have been very good so far.

In this moment we have in our hands our first deployment escenario.Along
with the bunaima fundation, we have a project approved by Bogota's secretary
of education, for installing and using Sugar in 12 public schools: 7 from
Ciudad Bolivar
  (María Mercedes Carranza,
Rodrigo Lara Bonilla, Ciudad Bolívar Argentina, Bosco I, Rafael Uribe
Uribe, Paraíso Manuela Beltrán y Buenos Aires) and 5 in other
localities (Sorrento, Florentino González, Marco Fidel Suárez, San
Pablo y Morisco). In these schools Sugar will be installed in informatics
classrooms of primary grades.

This step is the continuity of a process begun  with 30 professors, which
have been already trained on Sugar use. Now with the possibility of having
installed software, we are starting our second phase: making a follow-up of
classroom works using investigation projects as pedagogical tool.

Next six months will be accompanying professors in their use of Sugar for
classes development and we will be helping them with use of wikis, blogs ans
LMS (i.e moodle) .
towards the end  of this process we hope that teachers will be an active
part of Sugar's community  and we hope to have results of projects made by
children of these schools. Of course we are counting that this experience
can be replicated on other institutions and schools of Bogota and Colombia.

We will be telling you the advances and difficulties in this process.

Regards,
Rafael Ortiz