[IAEP] Introducing kids to Sugar

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Jun 4 16:21:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 18:07 +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On 06/04/09 17:05, Marten Vijn wrote:
> > 1. Outside a class a introduced XO's a group of 6 kids. I used a
> > freeform (no structure). Kids when to youtube and hyves and both sites
> > did not work. Kids got frustrated of the XO's slowness.
> >
> > 2. I an class with only one XO we told the teacher let kids play as a
> > bonus and ask afterward what they discovered. Here the kid like the XO a
> > lot.
> >

> > My recommondation would are:
> >
> > guide form:
> > - no internet first time
> > - make groups with tasks
> > - let childeren tell their experiance
> > - Let the teacher not to be in charge off the class (take over control)
> > - short time (one hour max)
> > - make clear choise what to discover,
> > - have goals per session (measuring succes)
> >
> > or if use free form:
> > - no internet
> > - limited time
> > - no questions for teacher or guiders.
> > - no active interventions,
> > - no active observation, (do sometime else).
> > - afterwards let kids tell
> >   - what not worked
> >   - what worked
>

> Thanks, that's very valuable information.
>
> Did in either the kids require any initial training or assistance to get
> started?

They are mostly used to use windows os or used to pc's anyway.

>  How old were they?

4-10 years

ooh, If want to make fun use record (sound) that's amazing is a group.
Bring ear protection :)
For younger kids 3-4 speak and tamtam-mini are nice.

Unfortunally my son (4 years) in not interested in the pc's to much. He
like sword fighting and doing destructive research on cars......
I guess I have to be patient :)

kind regards,
Marten

--