[IAEP] Introducing kids to Sugar

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:05:37 EDT 2009

Most kids in developed countries know that some computers perform
better than others, and use their favorite YouTube video as an
informal benchmark.

They are also exposed to the gadget culture of cellphones as MP3
players, videogame consoles, GPS car systems, and so on. An XO-1 faces
stiff competition.

My two older kids (12 and 10 at the time) immediately sussed out the
most interesting functions the XO-1 offers: the Record Activity, and
Chat over the mesh network. I deliberately kept them off the Internet
and was in the room, but not looking over their shoulders.

An XO-1 by itself lacks the collaboration aspect so central to the
Sugar experience... need at least a pair to show what it can do :-)

I showed SoaS to a friend recently, connected to his wireless network
and the Neighborhood View filled up with friends from the jabber
server. His eyes popped and he got really excited but then asked
questions about how that will scale if hundreds/thousands of
classrooms start using it ;-)

Sean