[IAEP] Introducing kids to Sugar
info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Jun 4 11:05:06 EDT 2009
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:28 +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> There's a possibility for a class of five graders in Florence to pilot
> SoaS next year.
> Our friends of OLPC Italia came up with a good question: how would an
> introductory class for Sugar work in practice? Both teachers and kids
> will be present to learn simultaneously, which makes things more
> Who actually went through such experience already? How was the class
> organized? What materials were used? And, more importantly, ware there
> any issues to watch out for?
1. Outside a class a introduced XO's a group of 6 kids. I used a
freeform (no structure). Kids when to youtube and hyves and both sites
did not work. Kids got frustrated of the XO's slowness.
2. I an class with only one XO we told the teacher let kids play as a
bonus and ask afterward what they discovered. Here the kid like the XO a
My recommondation would are:
- no internet first time
- make groups with tasks
- let childeren tell their experiance
- Let the teacher not to be in charge off the class (take over control)
- short time (one hour max)
- make clear choise what to discover,
- have goals per session (measuring succes)
or if use free form:
- no internet
- limited time
- no questions for teacher or guiders.
- no active interventions,
- no active observation, (do sometime else).
- afterwards let kids tell
- what not worked
- what worked
http://martenvijn.nl Marten Vijn
http://martenvijn.nl/trac/wiki/soas Sugar on a Stick
http://bsd.wifisoft.org/nek/ The Network Event Kit
http://har2009.org 13th-16th August
http://opencommunitycamp.org 26th Jul - 2nd August
More information about the IAEP