[IAEP] Introducing kids to Sugar

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Thu Jun 4 11:05:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:28 +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> There's a possibility for a class of five graders in Florence to pilot
> SoaS next year.
>
> Our friends of OLPC Italia came up with a good question: how would an
> introductory class for Sugar work in practice?  Both teachers and kids
> will be present to learn simultaneously, which makes things more
> interesting.
>
> Who actually went through such experience already?  How was the class
> organized?  What materials were used?  And, more importantly, ware there
> any issues to watch out for?

1. Outside a class a introduced XO's a group of 6 kids. I used a
freeform (no structure). Kids when to youtube and hyves and both sites
did not work. Kids got frustrated of the XO's slowness.

2. I an class with only one XO we told the teacher let kids play as a
bonus and ask afterward what they discovered. Here the kid like the XO a
lot.

My recommondation would are:

guide form:
- no internet first time
- make groups with tasks
- let childeren tell their experiance
- Let the teacher not to be in charge off the class (take over control)
- short time (one hour max)
- make clear choise what to discover,
- have goals per session (measuring succes)

or if use free form:
- no internet
- limited time
- no questions for teacher or guiders.
- no active interventions,
- no active observation, (do sometime else).
- afterwards let kids tell
  - what not worked
  - what worked

2ct,