[IAEP] Physics

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 03:40:46 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Alan Kay<alan.nemo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Caryl,
>
> It's possible that the Physics Activity could get students interested in
> Physics, but the deepest and most important parts of real science cannot be
> learned from a book or a computer or from just doing mathematics no matter
> how wonderful.

In Alan's third grade gravity lesson, which I have modeled using Turtle Art

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/0/0e/Gravity.odt

he has students build a model, and then look at something in the
physical world that matches the model. We have three things here, as a
necessary but not sufficient base for a very small part of physics:

o model
o phenomenon
o correspondence

We have to work at all three in order to have a scientific theory.