[IAEP] Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Jan 18 02:12:51 EST 2009

I see there are 6 descriptors on the getting involved page

Only one of them seems primarily about 'working code' - which I doubt
that many educators have contributed to. Just interested discussion and
practical experience.

Personally, I hope to get into this more fully, this year, now my work
has hopefully down-shifted a gear, intensity wise,  (ironically taking
me out of the classroom where I was always hoping to trial it, and into
development of educational maths software)

Yes, I can see that without the technical systems up and working there
is no project ...so its necessary, but not sufficient, to just build it

consider the popularity of this immensely impractical advice
http://google.decenturl.com/shipbuilding

engaging teachers and getting traction in schools will continue to be a
critical challenge, I think. It's the same reason that the Dynabook
vision isn't yet realised - this is as much a cultural as a technical
challenge.

I've already learnt a lot here thrashing out some ideas with some here

Pity to douse that cause it not solid coding - frustrating as that may
be for the solid coders

But if being a python developer or linux administrator is the main game
or acid test of commitment, it seems to that the 'education project' is
not really acknowledging the diversity of all 6 types ...which is not so
good for 'group work'

I'm encouraged I guess, that Papert et al seem at times almost
indulgently philosophical on the challenges of using new systems and the
inertia of schooling, as well as no doubt also being technical gurus -
seems the big ideas are needed as well as the practical implementation

Cheers

Rob