[IAEP] Sugar update

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jan 10 01:33:40 EST 2009

Over the last two days, many people involved in developing and
distributing Sugar have taken the opportunity provided by FUDCon to
meet, talk, find common ground, and most importantly, find a way
forward.

We started off the day with a brief situation analysis lead by Walter
Bender.  Not much needs to change with the 'upstream' Sugar learning
platform .84 release.  Some hoped for features might not make it into
the release.  But, the release will happen on time.

The bigger question is, 'What are we going to do about the upcoming
9.1 XOos release.'  By XOos I am referring to the customized version
of Fedora that OLPC was optimizing for the XO.  A group of Sugar
developers, past and present OLPC employees, and members of Fedora
community spent a rather long and exhausting day with GregDek sorting
out the difference between XOos and stock Fedora.

By leveraging our strengths, and admitting our weakness, we can
release Xoos 9.1 as a custom Fedora spin under the standard Fedora
release process.  Dependencies  need to be pruned.  Patches need to be
pushed upstream.  And again, some things may not make the quickly
approaching feature freezes.  Most importantly, the release will
happen.

Thanks Fedora.

David