[IAEP] web-based activities (was Re: How to Make Activity Designers Happy , Parts I and II)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jan 3 04:26:28 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 20:30, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 19:18 +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> without needing to get into what is better for our deployments, I do
>> see value in making easier to make Sugar activities using technologies
>> such as HTML, CSS, etc
>> Bryan, can we get into a more detailed view on what it would take
>> ideally to create a new activity using such activities? Which would be
>> the steps that an experienced web designer would need to take in order
>> to create a Sugar activity?
>
> Presently, we do the following to run flash activities on the XO
>
> 1) download the Firefox3.xo bundle
> 2) change the activity.info file
> 3) change some of the file and directory names to reference
> EPaathActivity instead of FirefoxActivity
> 4) copy the swf (flash) files to ./activity/Activity/Activities (I know
> it's ugly
> 5) change the firefoxactivity.py
> ff = [ './firefox' ]
> ff = [ './firefox', './activity/Activity/Activities/OurSWF.htm']

Doesn't sound too complicated. How is it working right now? Which are
the biggest issues? How do you envision this should be done instead?

>> I'm sure that someone with basic knowledge of python could create some
>> tools that make it much more easier than it is today. Also have some
>> ideas about how those activities could interact with the journal and
>> other Sugar features.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tomeu
>
> Again, this requires people to learn python, a whole new language that
> they don't necessarily use at work. We need to enable developers to be
> very productive in just 2-3 hours per week. For them to be productive
> they need to be using tools they are already familiar w/.
>
> Python is a tool popular among sysadmins and hackers. It is great tool.
> But folks who develop web UIs use css, html, javascript, and flash. I
> highly doubt that will change in the near or distant future. These are
> people we need to recruit as activity designers.

I guess I was unclear in my proposal. What I was talking about is
creating a set of tools that the web developers would use. A python
coder would write and maintain them and the web developers would use
them to deploy their work.

Regards,

Tomeu