[IAEP] Adults and Sugar

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:55:28 EST 2009

Hi IAEP,

I get this list via digest so I'm late to this topic. However, I did want to share my experience at the OLPC booth at SCaLE this past weekend.

Caroline Meeks wrote:

"Put Sugar in front of the average adult sitting alone, without any
instruction, for 20 minutes.  I doubt many of them would agree with you.

"Thats not how Sugar was designed to be used, but it is the conditions under
which it is usually evaluated.  I think this is one of our marketing
challenges."

This was the reaction we got.  One man sat in front of the XO for several minutes with a puzzled look on his face.  Finally he asked, "Where is your file manager?" I explained that he needed to forget everything he knew about computers and just pretend he was a child again.  He got up in disgust and left. Meanwhile, nearby, a little boy, about 8-years-old was happily exploring Sugar.

Most adults were happy to try, often assisted by children, while we were busy talking to other adults about becoming "Contributors" of their skills and talents to the OLPC and Sugar projects.  Overall, we had a very positive response.  Some adults have very closed minds, but I think most are willing to learn, change, and have fun doing it.

Next weekend (not this) I will be doing a presentation about OLPC and Sugar for the CUE (Computer Using Educators) conference in Palm Springs, CA. I will also have a station set up in the lobby where folks can come and try the XOs. These will all be educators (SCaLE was mostly programmers).

Is there any special message you would like me to pass on from IAEP and SugarLabs?

Caryl