[IAEP] Design ideas for a.sl.o and sugarlabs

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:42:28 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:22 AM, ,Josh williams <joshcwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carol,
>
> Thanks for the kind words. That's a good idea for providing a screen
> shot, that's what they do at addons.mozilla.org . It might be somewhat

Yes, I think screenshots will be an important visual element on the
"detail" pages for each activity.

> difficult however to implement an enlargeable thumbnail because the
> developers would have to create two images, and I would probably have to

Not necessarily.  You could probably hook up a simple ImageMagick
script which took a full size screenshot in the submission form and
created a separate thumbnail from it.  There might even be code around
to make this happen; I know some CMSs (Expression Engine, for
instance) support this already.

> jump through a few hoops writing the javascript and editing the current
> a.sl.o code. I haven't looked at the code yet, so I don't know what the

It might actually be a remarkably easy addition, if it's desired.
Take a look at Shadowbox (http://mjijackson.com/shadowbox/index.html).
 In my opinion, this is the best solution out there, as it's 100%
standards compliant, supports all media types, is extremely easy to
skin/customize, works in all browsers, and basically works "out of the
box" with the addition of a small rel= to a link.

This technique can also be used to create a gallery, such that the
page itself can be kept simple (just one primary image), but link to a
series of screenshots in the shadowbox.

> developers are looking at when they're uploading an activity or what
> would be involved for me, but it's a good idea.

Good thoughts so far!  I'll have more comments later.

- Eben