[IAEP] Handling loss of educational tools

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 01:43:50 EST 2009

Every child and class faces this.  In my fairly well-funded public
elementary and middle school, I must have had a handful of classes in
which I didn't have my own textbook for weeks, and had to share / had
nothing to take home.  In other cases, there weren't enough of the
latest materials and I had to use old or damaged books, or borrow the
teacher's book.

Centralizing a lot of interesting activity on a single device/book
makes the impact greater; I always had other classes where this wasn't
an issue.  So this speaks to avoiding single points of failure.

I can see a partial solution where if you lose your materials you no
longer have them to take home with you (so you don't go on losing them
every week) but have access to ones you can use in school.  In my
school we paid for replacements; it's more difficult if
students/families can't do that.

SJ