[IAEP] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.84 Release Candidate 2 (0.83.6)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Feb 23 05:32:56 EST 2009

Dear Sugar Community,

this is Release Candidate 2 for the upcoming 0.84 Release - see the [1]
for more details. Only one more week to go in this release cycle. Please
test this release and report all the bugs you find that we are able to
fix them in time. A friendly BugSquad [2] will be available to triage
those bugs accordingly and the developers can never have enough bug
food. If you have non-bug feedback about features you can use the
sugar-devel mailing list to share it with us.

 From a user point of view we want to highlight the following changes
that have been made:

=== Resume by Default ===
Resume by default is now the way we handle activity startup. The option
in the Favourites View palette has been removed completely. You can
still start a new instance using the 'Start' option in the Activity palette.

There has been some refinements to the View Source dialog. You can
access it from the Activity palette in the Frame or by using
'Shift+Alt+V' directly.

The coloured activity icon represents the source of the activity
instance. The outlined activity icon represent the bundle source for the
activity itself, the template. We use this to help draw a distinction
between the "activity instance" and the "activity bundle"

Using the uncoloured outline to represent the bundle vs the coloured
icon to represent an instance has been the design cue all along.

=== File transfer ===
We make use of the files new file transfer files now.

=== Read ===
Morgan fixed an error that was introduced due to changes in Evince.

=== Browse ===
Martin Langhoff has been adding functionality to authenticate with the
Schoolserver. When registered with the server an HTTP Cookie is created
to ease the use of services on the Schoolserver in future sessions.
Thanks to Daniel Drake Browse propagates the current locale now. This
helps to use web services and pages in your mother language. Try it out
with the [http://addons.sugarlabs.org/ addons] page for example.

Thanks everyone for your great contributions!

In behalf of the sugar community,
    Your Release Team

[1] The Sucrose Release Schedule can be found here
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap#Schedule

[2] More Info about the BugSquad at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/BugSquad

[3] You can find more details and screenshots at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.83.6

Modules that changed:

== Glucose news ==

=== sugar-toolkit ===
* Don't try to hide the tray if the activity has none (alsroot) {{Bug|395}}
* NamingAlert: Icon dependent on the entry type {{Bug|353}}
* Updated Languages

=== sugar ===
* Revert "Add a favorites mode setting for deciding if the favorites
view resumes by default or not"
* Listen for changes in the Activities dir and install/uninstall
activities accordingly {{Bug|235}}
* Fix sorting of favorite icons by installation_time {{Bug|387}}
{{Bug|360}}
* Use the file transfer icons
* Many new translations!

=== sugar-base ===
* Many new translations!

=== sugar-artwork ===
* Icon for a generic document, part of {{Bug|360}}
* Add view source icon

== Fructose news ==

=== Chat ===
* Translation update

=== Read ===
* AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'evince_embed_init'
{{Bug|351}}
* Translation updates.

=== Browse ===
* Create a HTTP Cookie to authenticate with the Schoolserver (Martin
Langhoff)
* Deprecation fix: Use bundle_id instead od service_name
* Set intl.accept_languages based on the locale (Daniel Drake)
* New Translations

== Fructose dependencies news==

=== Hulahop ===
* hulahop_get_view_for_window implicitly converted to pointer (Dann
Frazier) #20