[IAEP] How to upgrade XOs to Sugar 0.84?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Feb 19 06:18:16 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:31:54AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 16:59, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
[...]
> > Other than that what I take away from this thread is that upgrading
> > those XOs to the latest Sugar code will require quite a lot of
> > preparation and work.
[...]
> An alternative to reflashing or setting up a local olpc-update server
> would be installing one of the live images to a sd card and running a
> script to copy the DS from flash to there. That may be a bit more
> convenient in some situations but you would need anyway a developer
> key.

The ability to backup $HOME, copy-nand / install-to-a-partition, and
then restore $HOME worked for me when going from 767 -> soas3 ->
fedora-rawhide -> 767 on my XO.  Perhaps if this were a design goal
(or a similar design goal, like "you can move
$HOME/{.sugar,Activities} between sugar versions (which may already be
explicitly supported)) it would suffice for the casual developers
upgrade needs.

I suppose I should think about fancier things, like just mounting
$HOME from an sd card (but then where's the backup, and that races
with X startup at boot) or just treating the XO like any other laptop
and having yum actually runnable (though yum has always been really
prone to OOM on olpc builds, and then we're setting up the unrealistic
expectation that we'd support distro version upgrades) to upgrade
sugar.  ~

> > Christoph
> >
> HTH,
>
> Tomeu