[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] addons.sugarlabs.org is starting to work

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 19 06:15:41 EST 2009

2009/2/19 Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org>:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:04:02PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as the site is becoming more functional, we are in need of feedback
>> before we direct there the masses.
> its exactly time to ask my favorite question :)

I love it when people ask this one ;)

> What will happen if someone download TamTam/StoryBuilder/etc,
> and unfortunately hasn't csound/pygame/etc installed?

A long time ago, when using bundles was decided as necessary, the idea
was that there would be something called the "Sugar platform" that
would specify every component that an activity author can rely on
being available for their activities to use.

That would include etoys, csound, pygame, glibc, gtk, and any other
components on which the sugar shell may not depend but activities can
expect to be there.

Everything on which an activity depends and isn't part of the platform
should be bundled inside the .xo.

> One possible decision:
> we could create meta package w/ frequently used dependencies,
> like csound/olpcsound, pygames etc

Sounds good to me, but the decision on what composes the Sugar
platform should be taken upstream. How it is expressed in terms of
packages would be a downstream decision.

> Whats our strategy in that case for short/long period?

Perhaps we should start listing in the wiki the dependencies and their
versions for the Sugar platform version 0.84?

Regards,

Tomeu