[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 11, Issue 47

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Feb 19 00:54:28 EST 2009

Some comments,

Most of the folks running deployments are so busy running them that they
don't have time to document their work or share their experiences.
Greebo is a notable exception and I am continually astounded by her
productivity and quality.

I think it would be extremely helpful for someone outside of a
deployment to go to a well-run one-- and not necessarily large one-- and
document their work. I would particularly like to learn about David
Leeming's experiences in Oceania. He may be doing the best job of
running deployments in the world right now but he doesn't have time to
document his work.

Christoph Derndorfer is coming to Nepal for the summer and we hope that
he can help us better document our work and communicate our
requirements.

I will try to make a better effort at joining the IRC meetings for
deployments. When are they again?

>From Michael's questions:

> * Is there anything we could spend our time on which would yield a
> greater
> return on investment?

The most helpful thing I can think of right now would be a
special-purpose website/wiki only for curricula. Each curriculum should
map to a course in moodle.sugarlabs.org. We need to start the process of
mapping standard curricula to the open-source resources (quizzes,
readings, activities) that are available in some sort of intelligible
order. Then an interested developer or educator could start plugging in
the holes.

Really, all is needed is some kind of special-purpose wiki mapped to
moodle. No special software. The hard and incredibly *unsexy* work is
uploading the n curricula from X states/countries and mapping it to
sequenced materials. We can talk about quality, pedagogy ad infinitum
but the vast majority of teachers don't have a starting point to even
provide mediocre education beyond what they are currently provided by
their own governments.

> * Are there any fixable roadblocks which prevent group ____ from
> participating?

Yes! Getting cheap, durable laptops. Getting the $ for these is easy.
Getting XO's in manageable quantities is the biggest roadblock for most
would-be deployments.