[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] addons.sugarlabs.org is starting to work

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Wed Feb 18 19:36:18 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> What will happen if someone download TamTam/StoryBuilder/etc,
> and unfortunately hasn't csound/pygame/etc installed?
>
> One possible decision:
> we could create meta package w/ frequently used dependencies,
> like csound/olpcsound, pygames etc
>
> Whats our strategy in that case for short/long period?

The *ideal* method would be to use a standard packaging method long term, ie
.deb (which I'm partial to) or RPM. (both of these can be converted from and
to each other with alien)

Currently the main objection to using "system packaging" is that they
require administrative privlages to install; unfortunately, so would any
other solution other than requiring that *all* sugar installs had *all* the
packages in the "sugar system" (like we were able to do with the XO). That
method does not scale, and it forces people to handle shared libs.

If we decided to look into using debs or RPMs, we could easilly use apt-get
or yum in "prefix mode", which lets non-root users install packages.

Or, we could continue to use XO bundles, which have no dependancy handling
what so ever. Even if we standardized on metapackages, we'd still need to
either A) request that the system administrator install them, or B) make a
XO bundle format for shared libs.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc