[IAEP] Packaging thread summary

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 12 17:29:21 EST 2009

There has recently been a rather long packing thread on this list.

First, a couple of observations:
The goal of Sugar Labs is to create a _great_ learning platform.
Sugar Labs can _not_ accomplish that goal alone; we need a strong
ecosystem to distribute and deploy the platform.
Sugar Labs does not have the authority to tell anyone to do any thing.

Because of this, I would recommend that, because of difference in the
packaging objective of Debian and Ubuntu, the Ubuntu packages should
fork their packaging efforts from the current Debian efforts with the
intention of pushing the fork upstream into Debian experimental as
soon as possible.

This thread does belong on ieap because it directly faces the quality
of our product in the hands of end users and the process used to
generate that product.

david