[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Wed Feb 11 14:26:28 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:38:27PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>> On 2/11/09, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>>>>>

>> Maybe we're just thick, but neither Morgan nor I were able to use
>> your
>> git README.packaging to upgrade a package to a new upstream version.
>> It doesn't matter wheter we were upgrading sugar-base or Pippy.
>>
>> It seems that the file is missing some steps; moreover, how can we be
>> expected to package new activities with git when even the steps for
>> maintaining existing ones are lacking.
>
> Maybe it is me who are thick. Let's see if I understand it correctly:
>
> 1) You consider packaging Pippy and sugar-base my way equally complex.
>
> 2) Failure to understand my way of sugar-base packaging is your reason
> for not packaging *anything* in *any* way through Debian.
>
> Or did I miss something?

Yes, I'm saying the package maintinence operations under
git-buildpackage are more or less the same. Obviously, you need to
make changes to the buildfile, etc.

I also fail to see the use of using git-buildpackage; we aren't going
to make use of upstream git snapshots and are almost always going to
be using an upstream tarball. Finally, git versioning and merging is
of little use since we are using CDBS' patchsystem.