[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 04:59:56 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:14, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok? I guess this will be contreversial but it must be said and acted
> upon (much more importantly)
>
> Im gonna try and make this easy:
>
> SoaS - the latest fedora core based
> I tried to impress my 9 year old gescwister... (related one)
> Speak - it will not even launch.... why is it then on a disitributed stick?
>
> ubuntu -
> no read

That was a problem for all distros as OLPC shipped a forked evince. It
will be fixed for jaunty.

> no write

We're working on that one - libabiword. Will also be fixed for jaunty.

> no jiggzawpuzzle

It fails because it depends on abiword. Will be fixed for jaunty.

> etoys

This is packaged, but I think we're still missing a bit - the actual
sugar activity for etoys. I don't personally have the time to work on
it because I'm working on the above (and the actual glucose packages).

> scratch

Not packaged for Ubuntu. License changed to non-free recently?

> epathi

I don't think anyone's looked at getting this working on Ubuntu.

> measure
> anything tam tam based
> until very recently even browse

Fixed - although may be broken again by today's Firefox updates - I'll
get it updated ASAP.

> pdf reader of any kind
> measure
> distance
> slider
> video chat
> abc flower (thing doesnt even exist)

Not packaged. We really need more people to step up and work on
testing these activities as .xo on Ubuntu (and other distros) and help
with packaging them if they don't work like that.

When I got involved with Ubuntu packaging, I was asked by my manager
at OLPC (my employer at the time) to NOT work on Sugar on Ubuntu. I
did what I could in my personal time, but we had missed the Ubuntu
feature freeze and nearly had to ship 0.79 or nothing at all. I'm more
able to work on it now, and jaunty should work much better.

It might be easier to get involved in smaller distros, but for Ubuntu
we're still working without having any upload rights, and depending on
getting the MOTU team to sponsor our uploads, until we can demonstrate
sufficient experience. Not easy when time is tight.

Regards
Morgan