[IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:36:02 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>wrote:

> ok? I guess this will be contreversial but it must be said and acted
> upon (much more importantly)

Thanks for the frank report.  Hopefully it will help spur some action :)
It's also a good opportunity to highlight the work that *is* going on.

First of all, IMO the *only* stable Sugar OS is OLPC XO Software 8.2.0
running on XO or emulator.  As far as I know, none of the other
distributions has caught up in terms of activity support.

> Im gonna try and make this easy:
>
> SoaS - the latest fedora core based
> I tried to impress my 9 year old gescwister... (related one)
> Speak - it will not even launch.... why is it then on a disitributed stick?

Aleksey Lim recently took over this orphaned package.  Can you get in touch
with him (alsroot on IRC) and help work it out?  I have yet to even try SoaS
but information on what activities do and don't work should be posted to
http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/ActivityStatus so we can triage them.
We are watching that page.  Thus far most of our work has been migrating
activities over to SL.org but hopefully we can start actually getting them
to work on SoaS soon.

> ubuntu -
> no read
> no write
> no jiggzawpuzzle
> etoys
> scratch
> epathi
> measure
> anything tam tam based
> until very recently even browse
> pdf reader of any kind
> measure
> distance
> slider
> video chat
> abc flower (thing doesnt even exist)

I haven't tried Sugar on Ubuntu but this sounds pretty bad.  Are these
activities installed from .xo files or from apt?

> 1. make an educator mailinglist.... we get every educator we know on
> the list. We start off the discussion with what is really needed...
> the simple stuff... the stuff u guru coders can whip up in days:
> Examples:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/ProjectIdeas

SL educator mailing list sounds like a great idea.

> 1. typing tutor... all it should do is allow kids to follow whatever
> the teacher is directing. speed of typing is recorded? accuracy; graph
> based report; printable to parents... stars given to best pupils...

I've been working on filling this gap since November.

http://dev.laptop.org/~wadeb/TypingTurtle-9.xo is the latest release but I
can't guarantee it works on anything but XO.

> 2 same for maths... times tables/division/addition/substraction....
> groupings of kids, reports, printibale to both parents ant teachers...

There are two active math projects right now.  Tony Anderson is working on
Image Quiz Plus which will be great for multiplication tables and the like.
There is also Urko Fernandez's Assimilate activity.

Also Peter Moxhay is doing great work on introductory math exercises (ie
learning the concept of number).  Hopefully he will have a release ready
before too long.

> I hope no one takes this is as a critcism of the effort put into
> creating activities till now; but people... lets frocus... lets sugar
> mean something for teachers

I'm right there with you.  I've been trying to get some basic activities
(beyond the 9 or so that have been shipping w/Sugar for 2 years) my whole
time with the project.

Best regards,
Wade