[IAEP] irc logs

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:29:14 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 14:19, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 13:11, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So... to log or not to log, that is the question.... ?
>
> What if everybody that has ever posted in a sugar mailing list and is
> against publishing logs explained here how if logs were public it
> would harm her/his ability to keep contributing?

s/mailing list/IRC channel/

(others made this mistake in this thread too...)

> I think we should not question their opinions, but as a community
> evaluate how making logs publics may harm our current contributors.

I've always considered IRC as a public medium, with many lurkers who
may or may not be publishing the logs. Right now there are 75 logged
on to #sugar, many of which I've never seen participate. They could be
representing journalists, future employers, governments, skynet...
Making future, or past, logs available publicly would not harm me.

When I first got involved in OLPC, things were changing so fast that
typically issues (like jhbuild failing) were raised and resolved on
IRC and never hit the mailing lists, so I used to read the #olpc and
#sugar scrollback on a daily basis. I learned a huge amount this way.
I no longer read everything(!) but often have a quick scan to see if
there was anything relevant to me.

I think there are three options, going forward:

#1. Publish the logs officially, hosted on a sugarlabs server and
linked from the wiki, for at least #sugar if not #sugar-meeting as
well. Explain that no other channels are officially logged in this
way, and that people are welcome to use (for example)
#sugar-meeting-offtherecord if they want to avoid their logs being
published. Or #no-you-cant-have-a-pony.

#2. A community member, whether a Sugar Labs member or otherwise,
publishes logs at an unofficial location (including
people.sugarlabs.org, or a non sugarlabs domain). If nobody else does
#1 above or this #2, I'll probably do this at some point, unless #3
below kicks in.

#3. Sugar Labs officially bans logging the channels #sugar and/or
#sugar-meeting.

OLPC never banned logging, but a couple of people asked me not to
publish logs when I first spun up xobot. Recently I think it was SJ,
but I can't find the reference, who said that the appropriate #olpc*
channels should be published as a resource.

Regards
Morgan