[IAEP] irc logs

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Feb 5 04:48:09 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:33:55AM +0545, Ties Stuij wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If I may summerize: after counting all the votes/opinions here and on
> >> irc (but how can we check?), it's mostly for and no real against to
> >> having #sugar logged.
> >
> > I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
>
> Ehhm, ok. You said you disliked logging, without qualifying your
> dislike. That didn't seem as a very strong against.

Well you didn't really ask for a vote; you just said "Waddaya say?".
People started voting, as they do:

+1     Morgan Collet
-1     Luke Faraone
-0/+1  Jameson Quinn
-1     Martin Dengler

Note I haven't counted ambiguous votes, though I think some gave
implicit approval[1] and some implicit disapproval[3], but I'm not
confortable reading into those.

If you want a vote, ask for one explicitly (preferably with a
concrete-enough proposal), and then count.  I put -1, and Luke
seemed to put -1.

Martin

> As for Martin he said, if I may quote:
>
> "I don't think the audience might understand the volume, verbosity, and
> context-mining involved in browsing such a log."
>
> That didn't seem like a very strong against opinion either.

Uselessness seems a good enough against to me :).  To quote myself:

> "Logging -1 (though nobody's asked for a vote[...])"

> This for a public channel that can be
> tracked by anyone if she/he wishes, so I don't really understand the
> privacy-concerns.

It's the difference between a conversation one might have with someone
in a library where I know it's recorded, or don't.  I would behave
differently, and I like the knowledge that someone has to care enough
to see the backlog or save good parts of it:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Deployment_meetings/20090127
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=projects/olpcquotes;a=summary

> /Ties

Martin