[IAEP] irc logs

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:48:55 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I may summerize: after counting all the votes/opinions here and on
>> irc (but how can we check?), it's mostly for and no real against to
>> having #sugar logged.
>
> I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

Ehhm, ok. You said you disliked logging, without qualifying your
dislike. That didn't seem as a very strong against. As for Martin he
said, if I may quote:

"I don't think the audience might understand the volume, verbosity, and
context-mining involved in browsing such a log."

That didn't seem like a very strong against opinion either. Not
something that warranted further discussion. On irc people mostly
offered setting up an irc channel, and seemed to be ok with it. Tomeu
said it might be nice so as to indicate Sugar is an open organisation,
as a token if you will. There was some talk about the merit of
'private kitchentables' for projects in general, but it seemed like it
was poised in the spirit of general debate, not applying to logging
the #sugar mailing list in particular. So people do have different
opinions on various levels of openness, but no-one seemed to feel that
strongly about not logging, and when I tallied up the votes (the hard
ones and the ones given in passing), the ayes seemed to outstrip the
nays about two-and-a-half to one.

Again, I for one do like the openness, indexability by search engines,
ability for everybody to read the backlog, and the ability to link to
past discussions for reference. This for a public channel that can be
tracked by anyone if she/he wishes, so I don't really understand the
privacy-concerns. But if you, and others DO feel very strong about it,
and consensus can't be reached, then we default to current practices I
guess. I don't feel that strong about the whole deal.

But let me propose a compromise, which was mentioned before in passing:
Logging yes, but not indexable by the major search engines through a
robots.txt file. Otherwise I'll ask our friendly bofh.

/Ties