[IAEP] sustaining development

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 05:49:29 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> While I think this is a big step forward towards sustainability of
> Sugar development, I'm still concerned about the not-so-long-term
> future because there's a good amount of work that needs to be done

Unfortunately I don't read your blog. Maybe I should. I share your
concern, and I think everyone here does.

My personal experience is of 10 years of doing FOSS development almost
always paid by interested clients / end-users. Before OLPC, my last
job was at a large company doing exactly that.

It takes a lot of professionalism*, and a lot of hard work. But it can
work. I am 200% supportive of Sugaristas being contracted by
deployments, and where possible, you'll find me encouraging both sides
to talk and negotiate.

* - As we are more exposed than the norm with this development model:
these mailing lists where we sometimes think we can voice our opinions
(however strong) and discuss key strategy are actually our
professional working space... within earshot of clients and
competitors. Clients who might not like strategic decisions, or
positions aired; competitors who might be hoping for good info on
where to hit.

Bear in mind there are many practical hurdles. Many of the potential
clients are governments, which on top of usual govt contracting
complexities, have extra fun bits in this case. They may not be able
to pay a foreigner (or foreign company) easily. Might have tricky
payment rules for contractors. Might be unable to pay international
consulting rates, or unable to get tele-commuters.

I don't mean the above as a discouragement -- in the least! -- but to
hint that preparation is key. In some places, you might need a local
company or non-profit to take the local contract. Or to setup a
short-lived tax registration. In some cases it might be "more
possible" to hire someone to be present physically, at higher costs,
than teleworking.

As others have said, it might be easier to have non-govt players
(local foundations for example) fund your work.

It sure is a challenging space. But not impossible, and I think 200% worthwhile.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions