[IAEP] sustaining development

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Dec 28 04:30:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:16:10AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm totally n00b in such field and sorry if I'm talking about obvious
> things but what I have in my mind is organizing sufficient
> infrastructure/place/rules/schedules to let various developers meet
> various deployments needs.
>
> It could be like a bank of deployment needs, some needs could be payed
> some not, some came from individuals(who is going to pay or not) some
> from small/large deployments, from non-profit and for-profit
> organizations etc. It's not only about founding developers(via payed
> needs) but it has such benefit.

In my mind such place(which could be represented in the web by special site)
would be core point of sugar community, at the end all we have is
someone needs. It could be good point to start for newcomers and let us
flexibly organize sugar development process in social(not technical) and
deployment cases.

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 05:26:49PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as you may know (specially if you have read my last blog posts) these
> > days I'm quite happy at how big users of Sugar such as OLPC
> > deployments and also OLPC itself are starting to do their Sugar work
> > inside the Sugar Labs community, instead of doing it on their own and
> > keeping the results for themselves.
> >
> > While I think this is a big step forward towards sustainability of
> > Sugar development, I'm still concerned about the not-so-long-term
> > future because there's a good amount of work that needs to be done so
> > that new Sugar releases are made with consistent quality and that work
> > is being done by volunteers, funding it with their savings. When those
> > savings end, there will be no place where deployers and volunteers
> > could share their work.
> >
> > We could put it as if we had covered the need of funding new features,
> > but we still are depending precariously on the good will of a few in
> > order to sustain the process through which new features reach
> > children. My questions is, how can we reach sustainability on the rest
> > of the process?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tomeu
> >
> > --
> > «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
> > What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
> > Farning

> Aleksey

Aleksey