[IAEP] [DESIGN] Ideas and questions on SL.o (Luke Faraone)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 14:00:51 EST 2009

Hi...
Luke, you are right on target!  Yes, it would be wonderful to make the first page of the wiki (and all the rest too) much more inviting to what is probably our most important audience (because we reach the students through them) the teachers.
I'll happily join Gerald in helping with the content about classroom uses of Sugar.  I think that drawing on the experience of teachers actually using Sugar in the classroom, such as Sdenka Zobeida Salas Pilco's wonderful ebook The XO Laptop In The Classroom, is a good place to start. The lessons she includes can be adapted to using SoaS or a live CD.  Hopefully other teachers will contribute ideas of their own.  This is what I had hoped for 2 long years ago (really?) when I started a section on the OLPC wiki called the "Teachers' Lounge." It never got used. Maybe we can change that!
I think another section that could be included is a very elementary one on building a new Sugar activity by modifying or localizing one that already exists. For example, I would love to see someone make a version of "Yo conozco Ururaguay" that would be easy to localize.  Make it so that a local map could be substituted for the one of Uruguay, a localized character could be built, and hints and questions about the target country could be substituted for the ones about Uruguay.
Another thing that would be good would be instructions for making a customized Live CD or usb stick with the specific Activities that a teacher wants to use in their own classroom.  Is it possible to do such a thing? Is it something that the average "non-techie" teacher might be able to do if provided with "Grannie Guide"-type instructions?  I can help write the instructions if someone helps me (semi-techie) learn to do it.
Happy New Year!Caryl (aka SweetXOGrannie... the "sweet" part is about Sugar, in case you couldn't guess)