[IAEP] sustaining development

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Dec 23 11:26:49 EST 2009

Hi all,

as you may know (specially if you have read my last blog posts) these
days I'm quite happy at how big users of Sugar such as OLPC
deployments and also OLPC itself are starting to do their Sugar work
inside the Sugar Labs community, instead of doing it on their own and
keeping the results for themselves.

While I think this is a big step forward towards sustainability of
Sugar development, I'm still concerned about the not-so-long-term
future because there's a good amount of work that needs to be done so
that new Sugar releases are made with consistent quality and that work
is being done by volunteers, funding it with their savings. When those
savings end, there will be no place where deployers and volunteers
could share their work.

We could put it as if we had covered the need of funding new features,
but we still are depending precariously on the good will of a few in
order to sustain the process through which new features reach
children. My questions is, how can we reach sustainability on the rest
of the process?

Thanks,

Tomeu

Farning