[IAEP] hearing impaired education and Sugar

Andrea Mangiatordi (Gmail) andrea.mangiatordi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:41:41 EST 2009

On 16/12/2009 15:04, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I think the Ceibal / LATU team has also been looking at various
> accesibility tools for Sugar. I've been talking with them recently
> about a 'Zoom' tool for kids with limited vision (hoping to post about
> this soonish) , and I think they've done some work with a screen
> reader.
>
> CC'ing Guadalupe Artigas and Emiliano, as I suspect they may have been involved.

I was there during the first tests on this and helped the LATU team with
the magnifier.

As far as I know, hearing impaired don't have actual problems using a
computer: they usually have problems with very complex sentences, with
word meaning and other similar matters, like synonymy, antonymy and
hyponomy. I met the children of a school for deaf in Maldonado and they
use their XO like the others, working a lot with the record activity and
with games like memorize, which help them binding concepts with their
written form.

The right question to be asked is "does Sugar include any activity aimed
at reinforcing basic linguistic skills?"

Hope this helps

Andrea

--
Andrea Mangiatordi