[IAEP] Blueberry launch prep - new eBooks wiki page - translators for PR?

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:56:29 EST 2009

Preparations are underway for the Sugar on a Stick v2 Blueberry
release media launch which will take place on Tuesday the 8th at
Netbook World Summit in Paris. More information in today's marketing
meeting (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Meetings).

In this holiday season, we want to remind teachers and parents that
eBooks are not just pricey ebooks for fancy gadgets, but part of the
open access to learning movement. We believe teachers and parents can
benefit from step-by-step advice about getting eBooks into Sugar and
so have started a wiki page called eBooks:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/ebooks

Can anyone help with this page? Please add links to sources of
children's ebooks! preferably downloadable ebooks (readable offline).
By launch date, we will want to have a section on this page describing
(for newcomers to Sugar) how to find, obtain and read eBooks with
Sugar's reading Activities. And, a section explaining common formats
maybe even with conversion tips.

If you have a suggestion for an illustrated eBook to serve as an
example, please let us know, preferably with link and license
information. We hope to be able to include some eBooks with Blueberry,
if for licensing reasons we can't we will set up online access to
those ebooks through the default Browse page.

We will also need translators for our press release which will be
ready on Thursday. Volunteers greatly appreciated, there is a direct
correlation between the language versions of our PR available and the
coverage we bring to Sugar Labs in that language.

If we are lucky enough to make a media splash as we did last June
(alas! never guaranteed), we will organize the news monitoring as
follows: [SoaS in the news] in the subject line, sent to Marketing and
SoaS lists, digested so no more than 4 messages per day (exceptions
for broadcast media if any).

We're excited about this launch and hope everyone can help spread the
word about Sugar to teachers and parents!

thanks

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator