[IAEP] [support-gang] Fwd: w7sins FUD

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Aug 31 16:52:14 EDT 2009

2009/8/31 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>

> I don't think anyone on this list was suggesting that Windows on OLPC
> was/is a good/appropriate solution for learning. But there is a free
> software alternative, Sugar, that is designed to be appropriated by
> the local community/culture. We were asking, why doesn't the FSF
> promote alternatives (Sugar or some other free learning platform) in
> parallel with their anti-cultural-imperialism message?
>
> -walter

Walter,
I thank you for taking my comment and bringing it back into the
constructive sphere. Indeed your question is a very good one.

WRT business oriented platforms, I think the idea is that those
promote themselves (due to market dynamics)... except in niches
like education, health, environment, where, well, they don't.

So your point is very valid that the FSF could and perhaps
should promote alternatives for education (such as Sugar).

Then again, perhaps that is part of our place as SugarLabs
( or perhaps at least our Local Labs efforts which are closer
to deployments ).

I don't think pointing at the problem is so bad, because the first
step to meaningful change is recognizing there is a problem.

Cheers

Sebas

--
Sebastian Silva