[IAEP] deployment team meeting?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 31 10:13:44 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> would like to propose a meeting to talk about how deployments can
>> provide better feedback and how we can process it so developers and
>> the rest of Sugar Labs can prioritize their work accordingly.
>>
>> How does it sound?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tomeu
>>
>> --
>> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
>> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
>> Farning
>>

> Alas, this is the sort of mindset we are working with:
>
>> Walter,
>>
>> We have continued working closely with the pilot school and have
>> gotten a lot of insight into what the teachers want/need. Right now
>> our calendar is pretty full so joining IRC meetings isn't really
>> feasible.  We will, however, pass on requests when it seems like
>> there's a demand for something to help make the Sugar more
>> relevant in the classroom.
>>
>> I hope that there will be more useful information come out of the
>> NSF funded ICAC (Integrating Computing Across the Curriculum)
>> grant that we are a part of.  It will disseminate information related
>> to findings in the schools and we'll be glad to let you know in
>> advance when publications become available.
>
> Not convinced that better reporting tools are going to help with
> attitudes such as this. We need a way to get past the deployment
> gatekeepers and the academics and talk directly with teachers and
> students.
>
> -walter

I don't believe that effective reporting tools will help in a
situation like this either.

On the other hand, there are many other deployments who are willing to
work with Sugar Lab to establish useful and effective relationship
between Sugar Labs and deployments.  For now, we need to forget about
deployments with attitudes like the one above and focus on the low
hanging fruit.

Rabi, from OLE Nepal, is leading an extremely effective deployment.
Sugar Labs can learn a lot from them.

Daniel is also doing an outstanding job interfacing with deployments
around the world.  Over the past couple of months he has done a great
job shifting the conversation between Sugar Labs and deployments from
expressing well earned frustration to 'how do we work together.'

There are many other great deployments around the world who have staff
or volunteers with attitudes on Rabi's and Daniel's end of the
spectrum.  We can be more successful, with less frustration, by
focusing on them.

david

david