[IAEP] deployment team meeting?

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:29:07 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > would like to propose a meeting to talk about how deployments can
> > provide better feedback and how we can process it so developers and
> > the rest of Sugar Labs can prioritize their work accordingly.
> >
> > How does it sound?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tomeu
> >
> > --
> > «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
> > What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
> > Farning
> >

> Alas, this is the sort of mindset we are working with:
>
> > Walter,
> >
> > We have continued working closely with the pilot school and have
> > gotten a lot of insight into what the teachers want/need. Right now
> > our calendar is pretty full so joining IRC meetings isn't really
> > feasible.  We will, however, pass on requests when it seems like
> > there's a demand for something to help make the Sugar more
> > relevant in the classroom.
> >
> > I hope that there will be more useful information come out of the
> > NSF funded ICAC (Integrating Computing Across the Curriculum)
> > grant that we are a part of.  It will disseminate information related
> > to findings in the schools and we'll be glad to let you know in
> > advance when publications become available.
>
> Not convinced that better reporting tools are going to help with
> attitudes such as this. We need a way to get past the deployment
> gatekeepers and the academics and talk directly with teachers and
> students.

Actually I think this is the perfect starting point for thinking about
"tools" for teachers to communicate with us.

We could send an email or write a letter to every principal in Birmingham
and ask them to put a paragraph in their teacher newsletter asking for
feedback on Sugar issues and what features would help them.

What would we say in this paragraph? Where/how would we have them enter
their feedback? How can we do it in a way that connects them with each other
and empowers them to work together, since indeed, they are part of Sugar
Labs they just don't know it yet. ;)

> -walter
>

> --
> Walter Bender