[IAEP] svg animations, no?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:05:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:43, Bill Kerr<billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sugar does not support SVG animations? I just tried to replace the XO icon
>> with an SVG animation as an extension of
>> the http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar/8_4/ModifyingSugar exercise  - the icon
>> replaced but was not animated.
>> I'm seeking confirmation that this is correct and would be interested in the
>> reason too
>
> Sugar uses librsvg to render all SVGs, I'm not sure which are the
> capabilities of this library regarding animations.

I think the main issue is that icons are heavily cached/optimized, and
so the library is being used to render the icons at a particular size
and in particular colors, but not to actually display it on screen.
The icons on screen have been rasterized. Adding animation would
require adding a new icon class (kind of like the pulsing icon class).
That might be doable; I have no idea. The performance probably won't
be great (at least on XOs). We had lots of trouble just rasterizing
all of the static icons in complex views such as the neighborhood
without noticeable performance hits.

Eben