[IAEP] svg animations, no?

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 01:39:49 EDT 2009

thanks for information, tony
What I stress to my students initially is the strong underlying rationale
for knowing more about SVGs. Some of the points I go over with them more
than once are:

   - animations are fairly easy to achieve (SMIL or Synchronised Multimedia
   Integration Language is part of SVG)
   - it offers a path into some core web techniques and standards: XHTML,
   CSS, JavaScript and SVG
   - It's mathematical - both simple co-ordinate systems and more complex
   maths such as bezier curves. I like the fact that art can be done with maths
   - good free open source software is available, eg.
inkscape<http://www.inkscape.org/>
   - the small size (low bandwidth) and scalability of SVG graphics means
   they have a big future, eg. in the mobile phone industry
   - images are scalable

There are some very interesting essays and SVG examples at this dev.opera
page <http://dev.opera.com/articles/svg/> (view these pages using Opera
browser)

ie. I see a strong educational rationale for teaching more about SVGs (this
first occurred to me when reading Tim Berners Lee's book "Weaving the Web"),
but confess to my lack of success in persuading anyone else at all about
this :-(

btw my year 10 students are enjoying the challenge to make their own icons
to replace the XO icon - I'll be posting some of their icons soon