[IAEP] Sugar on Ubuntu (was Re: in the nicest possible way)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:16:31 EDT 2009

Hey, I got sugar-jhbuild to work today! On Ubuntu 9.04! Now if
somebody would fix the Ubuntu Sugar
packages...http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/Ubuntu

I was able to make the sugar packages work by adding a gconf setting:

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/sugar/desktop/favorites_layout -t string ring-layout

I think this will be fixed by adding the right gconf schema to the
package, and hopefully will be fixed in version 0.84.

There are still lots of non-fatal error messages in the terminal, but
it looks like these can be ignored. I used sugar-emulator --dpi=200.
Logging in to a Sugar session from gdm worked too.

        I tried sugar-emulator --dpi=200 and I got flashing screen on
9.04 and no joy.--Dennis Daniels 00:29, 6 August 2009 (UTC)

            Here's the video of the above not working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nveCbiHxjUQ

Previously, it was thought that a problem with Xephyr and dbus was at
fault, but the above workaround shows that it's a Sugar packaging
problem.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 01:34, Dennis Daniels<dennisgdaniels at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a plea.
>>
>> Sugar has not built successfully for the last five days or so on Ubuntu904.
>>
>> All the changes that other devs have made cannot be tested because
>> one(or more) dev didn't test the build after committing changes. We're
>> all, AFAIK, volunteers. Devs, please try to make the volunteer
>> tester's job a little easier; compile/build Sugar successfully before
>> committing changes to GIT.

Please do not shoot the sysadmin. ^_^

>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1238
>
> Nobody has broken jhbuild (at least in the way you say), you need to
> reconfigure hulahop, by using the -a flag to jhbuild.
>
> As I told you on IRC I think your time would be way more productive if
> you tested sugar packages instead of jhbuild, which is intended only
> for developers.
>
> Today we'll be doing updated rpms that can be installed on any F12 or
> F11 system.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
>> with regards,
>> Dennis

> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
> Farning

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name, and
Children are
my nation. The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
http://earthtreasury.org/