[IAEP] SoaS as a Sugar Labs project.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Aug 26 11:18:13 EDT 2009

Tomeu,
> Frankly Michael, the only way I can read these posts from you is that
> you are frustrated because we aren't churning more work, regardless of
> how much we have achieved that is relevant to OLPC deployments.

Correct.

I do not accept that work I have managed to do in the past is sufficient simply
because it was the work that I was able to do. Instead, I form or disintegrate
this acceptance with reference to three external measures:

   * absolute standards of quality, e.g. as formed by acceptance testing against
     written design goals or user experiences,

   * relative standards of quality as evidenced by the respect and participation
     of specific individuals whose judgment I trust and whose biases seem to me
     to control for some of my obvious biases, and

   * freeform standards of quality as evidenced by what other people have
     made from the work.

I am therefore frustrated, for the reason you mention, because I believe that
our work is achieves none of these standards of "good enough".

(Unsurprisingly, I'm frustrated for some other reasons too, but that's neither
here nor there.)

> Do you have any actionable ideas about how to work better for our users?

I perceive a double bind: I have lots of ideas, but ideas are cheap and seem
most unwelcome here -- they're just "talk" instead of "do", aren't they?

Michael

P.S - Maybe a reasonable compromise on the double bind would be for me to share
a small number of ideas, or to share as many ideas fit into a fixed duration
conversation in a different medium?