[IAEP] SoaS as a Sugar Labs project.

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Aug 25 21:22:40 EDT 2009

On 25 Aug 2009, at 16:49, Gary C Martin wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2009, at 16:03, Michael Stone wrote:
>
>>> El Mon, 24-08-2009 a las 20:58 +0200, Martin Langhoff escribi=F3:
>>>
>>> I don't necessarily disagree with you, but just 2 days ago I was
>>> offered
>>> an advice on the other side of the spectrum by Michael: he notes
>>> that a
>>> lot of important things are falling through the cracks because
>>> nobody
>>> organizes the available resources.  His suggestion is to introduce
>>> real
>>> project management into the game, which is basically what David's
>>> Projects idea seems to bring.
>>
>> For the record, I consider my puny efforts to offer more support for
>> Martin's
>> and Greg's remarks than for David's.
>>
>> (The analysis is simply that our current situation is unsurprising
>> given the
>> facts that, first, SL seems to consist more of leaders than of
>> followers and
>> second, that there seems to be a real dearth of people who care more
>> about
>> getting other people unstuck than about making progress on their own
>> pet
>> projects.)
>>
>> (Though, obviously, I'm more guilty than most here.)
>>
>>> A meta-comment on your post: you don't need to apologize and be shy
>>> for
>>> offering your criticism, no matter how many people will disagree
>>> with
>>> you.
>>
>> Actually, he does need to apologize and to be shy because doing so
>> makes it
>> easier for folks to hear what he's trying to say.
>>
>> (In our current environment, it works rather similarly to good-cop/
>> bad-cop.)
>>
>>> I recently got useful criticism from Bemasc, Christoph and Daniel on
>>> #sugar regarding our relationship with Deployments.  Their feeling
>>> is
>>> that we didn't do enough to get them involved, mine is that our
>>> efforts
>>> to reach out have been largely unsuccessful for reasons I do not
>>> fully
>>> understand.
>>
>> Here's another reason for you to consider:
>>
>> I have come to believe that many people involved in deployments have
>> *learned*
>> that they're not going to get anything useful out of interacting
>> with SL
>> because:
>>
>> 1. SL has largely ignored the feedback supplied by these deployments
>> in
>> 2007-2008 and exhaustively documented by Greg Smith and S Page at
>>
>>  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Roadmap
>
> Wow, blast from the past :-) Actually I'd strongly disagree here.
> Having re-read through most of what is listed here, much progress has
> been made on a large number (dare I say majority) of these items!

OK, I took up my own challenge here...

So, please do treat comments below as from the peanut-gallery, and not
as authoritative responses to these ~82 feature requests – many of
them significant compound feature sets in of themselves. I'd say close
to 50% have been resolved, 10% are specifically XO hardware related,
10% XS server, 15% I don't know enough to confirm or deny, 5-10% are
duplicates:

FWIW: There's a cold beer waiting at the end of this email.

-- Feature roadmap/Spell checker in Write:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Spell_checker_in_Write

English checking is back in and working, though unsure about other
languages, likely just down to availability of a dictionary file for a
given language.

-- Feature roadmap/Sugarized color picker:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Sugarized_color_picker

Done and in working for Write, Paint Activity (and others that use
colour) haven’t picked this up yet, just a matter of free time (I
almost did Paint but keep getting distracted).

-- Feature roadmap/Easy "Sugarization":
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Easy_%22Sugarization%22

How long is this piece of wet string ;-) But there has been lot’s of
effort here. Off the top of my head I’d point to the switch to
Metacity in 0.86, Tomeu’s GTK+ widget for making Gnash content into
full Activities, Tomeu’s hellow-world PyQt based Activity example.
Benjamin’s GSOC Groupthink workhttp://bemasc.net/~bens/groupthink/groupthink-module.html
   for solving collaboration simply (for the author) in many classes
of Activity type. Lucian’s GSOC Webified work http://honeyweb.wordpress.com/
  for creating custom site specific browser Activities. Universal
bundle work from Aleksey came close but pused to 0.88 for time/
stability reasons.

-- Feature roadmap/Activity updater improvements:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Activity_updater_improvements

This was part of OLPC distro onlu for a long time, but is now recently
over as a part of Sugar. Majority of work I’m aware of is to get it
working smoothly with the activities.sugarlabs.org mozilla addons
based site (a big improvement from all the manual wiki hacking).

-- Feature roadmap/Concept maps:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Concept_maps

Me, me, ME!! ;-) No, actually Tomeu picked up Labyrinth sugarisation,
then I did some UI polishing and hooked up extra features along with
the talented Aleksey. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Labyrinth

-- Feature roadmap/New activities:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/New_activities

Mixed list here. Abiword has always allow pasting of images to my
knowledge. Socialcalc is still rolling along with updates from time to
time. The switch to Metacity for 0.86 allows any application to be run
if you really want to go that way (and if the HW can actually cope).
Tomeu has added a Gnash GTK+ widget and an example PyQt hello world.

-- Feature roadmap/Browse update and multi-media:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Browse_update_and_multi-media

Hmmm... did this get done? Yep, think it did.

-- Feature roadmap/Terminal improvements:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Terminal_improvements

Hmmm... Somewhat vague requests. We’ve since got multi tab support
instead!

-- Feature roadmap/Better eBook reader:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Better_eBook_reader

Lot’s of effort, new Activity options (James) and format support
(Sayamindu) now available. Probably needs re-evaluation based on where
we are now.

-- Feature roadmap/Single sign-on from Browse:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Single_sign-on_from_Browse

Pass. I’ve seen work happening, but having never tested or tried this
side of school server work so don’t know where we stand today.

-- Feature roadmap/"Candy Bag" or "Bulletin Board" activity:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/%22Candy_Bag%22_or_%22Bulletin_Board%22_activity

Aleksey created a very feature rich Library Activity - perhaps too
feature rich ;-) – some of which is going into 0.86 Journal and is
related to other proposed features now pushed to 0.88.

-- Feature roadmap/Scalable link-local presence:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Scalable_link-local_presence

Another long piece of wet string, but specifically Cerebro seems to
have no one recently pushing on it for adoption. So most efforts are
in debugging existing stack, picking up general fixes and features
from Collabora, (scalability work seems aimed at server side).

-- Feature roadmap/Synchronous collaboration:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Synchronous_collaboration

Big bag of different feature here. Some done (Journal ‘send to ->
friend’ file sharing via both gabble & salut), some not, some now for
0.88 (Gadget/JID stuff), some partial (buddy tagging is in same ball
game, but more viable/useful vs. buddy avatars). Should also mention
Benjamin’s GSOC Groupthink work solving collaboration for many classes
of Activity type.

-- Feature roadmap/Collaboration groups:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Collaboration_groups

Sure Martin mentioned this is implemented (using Moodle) but not
necessarily tested/used much yet. Tomeu also implemented buddy tagging
(aka profiles) – Gabble only at the moment, and the UI hasn’t made 0.86.

-- Feature roadmap/Asynchronous collaboration:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Asynchronous_collaboration

Long list of (server based) features here that seem to be a
description of what I understand Moodle (or some other CMS) is
designed to do... Some feature work for Browse in 0.86 should smooth
some rough edges (upload/download file naming).

-- Feature roadmap/File sharing:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/File_sharing

For user initiated transfers Tomeu’s Journal ‘send to -> friend’
feature solves much of this. Aleksey’s Library Activity is aimed at
the ad-hox ‘making some Journal stuff generally available’. Solutions
for getting the latter into 0.86 Journal were considered, but pushed
to 0.88.

-- Feature roadmap/Journal improvements:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Journal_improvements

Some of this is done (Tomeu’s Datastore rework, specifically for
robustness). But plans have moved on given the SL volunteers able &
willing to do the work.

-- Feature roadmap/Hardware alerts:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Hardware_alerts

The specific use case (95% disk space) was already covered (though a
little crudely). Notifications are running quite well but don’t cover
devices yet (I think), which would likely be the correct place for
these alerts.

-- Feature roadmap/Contextual help:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Contextual_help

Not much movement here yet, at least we have more accelerator keys
getting shown in palettes so you can learn the keyboard shortcuts in
context :-) (FWIW, my vote is to focus on making Activities *simpler*
so they do not need help text bloat, and use better secondary help
hint messages).

-- Feature roadmap/GUI suggestion from SJ:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/GUI_suggestion_from_SJ

This is a path to walk rather than a feature. Think we are making good
progress down this path.

-- Feature roadmap/Trash can:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Trash_can

No description or specification at all on this one. I’m guessing
“Trashcan for Journal” no work done I’m aware of.

-- Feature roadmap/Scalable zoom levels:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Scalable_zoom_levels

A Neighbourhood list view almost made an 0.86 appearance, but think
it’s pushed to 0.88 now. Same goes for additional UI design work
needed for Gadget. Though Tomeu’s buddy tagging is in 0.86 (but no UI
exposure and Gabble only).

-- Feature roadmap/Keyboard navigability:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Keyboard_navigability

Many toolbar palettes now clearly display their accelerator keys, and
several views are now using the GTK+ treeview for 0.86, so inherit
better keyboard navigation accessibility.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Grab-scroll keys:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Grab-scroll_keys

It is implemented in several Activities (Labyrinth uses it to pan the
canvas), and there is an (XO hardware specific) keyboard shim type
background daemon that has been demonstrated as a potential general
solution.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Blinking lights usage
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Blinking_lights_usage

No description, specification at all on this one. Pretty sure Mikus
was after the voodoo that drives the XO HW wireless leds.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/VGA Projector:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/VGA_Projector

Not much SL can do. Though there is a VNC screen sharing activity or
two that may help, along with some better Activity collaboration.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Accurate touchpad:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Accurate_touchpad

No comment ;-) Actually Sugar can help with better keyboard navigation
and key discovery (both have made good progress). FWIW Pail Fox has
been reviewing and making more touch pad discoveries, there is a new
driver in the F11-on-XO1 tree, but I don’t think it’s in the latest
available build yet.

-- Feature roadmap/Run Fedora applications on XO:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Run_Fedora_applications_on_XO

0.86’s move to Metacity will help a lot here, but this feature is
largely obsoleted now that the F11-on-XO1 OLPC builds ship both Sugar
(the default) and GNOME desktop, and have a button to reboot between
the two if desired.

-- Feature roadmap/Copying files between Journal and USB:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Copying_files_between_Journal_and_USB

Done. Also Tomeu’s 0.84 datastore work made using a USB stick between
different operating systems *much* more reliable (no ghosts, no
vanishing files, no odd doppelgänger).

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Replace JFFS file system with better one:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Replace_JFFS_file_system_with_better_one

Only a low level FS issue linked to XO HW needs really, nothing SL can
do about this. XO1.5 will avoid this issue due to HW changes.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/NAND full should not crash XO:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/NAND_full_should_not_crash_XO

Done (though somewhat crudely).

-- Feature roadmap/File name and directory access:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/File_name_and_directory_access

Tomeu’s 0.84 datastore work improves some of this, it is just a simple
file directory structure. Could perhaps do with a trivial ls-journal
(or some such name) script to make terminal Journal browsing better
for novice use. The copy-to-journal and copy-from-journal already work
well for most needs.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Rebase on Fedora 10:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Rebase_on_Fedora_10

Done, well obsolete. Ongoing F11 and F12 work. SoaS work has also been
a help here getting in bug reports etc.

-- Feature roadmap/Spell checking:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Spell_checking

Sayamindu has an interesting ‘dictionary everywhere’ effort http://people.sugarlabs.org/sayamindu/global_dictionary.ogv
  Not sure why, but seems to have slipped 0.86. I could also see a
smaller version as a possible ‘dictionary device’ palette in the frame.

-- Feature roadmap/Better Arabic Support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Better_Arabic_Support

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough about this to comment.

-- Feature roadmap/Enhanced i18n:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Enhanced_i18n

Don’t know the details, but I think quite a chunk of work has been
done here (by Sayamindu). Also being able to select several fallback
languages in 0.86 I’m sure is a big help.

-- Feature roadmap/SCIM:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/SCIM

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough about this to comment.

-- Feature roadmap/Language customization:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Language_customization

Think this is done as well but not enough detail in feature
description to know.

-- Feature roadmap/Language pack version 3:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Language_pack_version_3

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough about this to comment, though I have
seen a fair amount of discussion about issues it raises.

-- Feature roadmap/RTL support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/RTL_support

Duplicate feature of above ‘Better Arabic Support.’ Sorry don’t know
enough about this to comment.

-- Feature roadmap/Multilanguage support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Multilanguage_support

Completed for 0.86 (a new CP lets you select languages in order of
preference).

-- Feature roadmap/Translations:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Translations

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough about this to comment.

-- Feature roadmap/Network Manager GUI:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Network_Manager_GUI

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough about this to comment.

-- Feature roadmap/Document and improve default network connection:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Document_and_improve_default_network_connection

Well, Sugar is much better auto-connecting quickly,correctly to an AP
as the whole Mesh hunt run around is not currently supported. But,
sorry, not sure how much else listed here has been tweaked.

-- Feature roadmap/802.1x support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/802.1x_support

Pass.

-- Feature roadmap/Full IPv6 support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Full_IPv6_support

Pass. Maybe we picked up improvements due to F11 and F12?

-- Feature roadmap/XO as internet gateway (formerly called MPP):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/XO_as_internet_gateway_%28formerly_called_MPP%29

Hmmmm. I seem to remember reading the Tomeu’s new ad-hoc 0.86 support
allows internet sharing, but have not discovered this myself yet
during testing, so likely ignore me. I understand MPP can be enabled
manually, but is disabled by default due to wireless bandwidth
saturation issues.

-- Feature roadmap/"Asynchronous internet":
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/%22Asynchronous_internet%22

Not much progress, Lucian’s GSOC Webified work may help a little here.

-- Feature roadmap/Reliable access to encrypted APs:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Reliable_access_to_encrypted_APs

Better I think, but likely not ‘the best’. The joys of working with
poor wireless security specs.

-- Feature roadmap/Printing support:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Printing_support

Vamsi’s GSOC Printer support covers this I think http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support
  though not sure when it will land (USB and server support via Moodle).

-- Feature roadmap/Debug tool:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Debug_tool

Hmmm... “Diagnostic USB stick which analyzes and reports back detailed
status.” A some what open ended feature request. Pass. Sorry don’t
know enough about this, though Sebastian has been pushing on smolt for
semi-automated hardware feedback – but I guess this feature was a
request for some ‘Sugar’ or ‘Fedora’ failure case detection?

-- Feature roadmap/Backup to Internet:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Backup_to_Internet

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status, though it does
seem to be actively worked on (SoaS backup to a school server seems
particularly active topic).

-- Feature roadmap/Universal view-source:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Universal_view-source

Done, perhaps some custom binary file types the source viewer doesn’t
display yet, but source & syntax high-lighting is all looking lovely
and shiny. Discussion moved on a long time ago (almost a year?) to
source code search, universal edit-source and versioning. Along with
source view for Sugar code its self.

-- Feature roadmap/Developers Center web site:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Developers_Center_web_site

Done. See Sugar Labs wiki and infrastructure.

-- Feature roadmap/System clock:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/System_clock

“Must have a clock on the XO” I’ve been running Martin Dengler’s frame
device clock for a while. It’s a bit visuallu large (i.e. device non-
square icon) and doesn’t have an analogue mode, but any deployment can
choose to add it to their builds, no questions asked, it's written as
a Sugar 'extension'.

-- Feature roadmap/Library and bundle updates:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Library_and_bundle_updates

Again... Long piece of wet string topic. Lot’s of discussion, Aleksey
has some great universal bundle proposals, but they’ve now been pushed
back to 0.88 due to lack of support and worries of stability (due to
development/QA time).

-- Feature roadmap/Caps lock option:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Caps_lock_option

Lack of a Caps lock key is a major feature, but lack of a global Caps
lock option (uppercase display of all text) is a missing feature.
Walter hoped to pick this up for 0.86, but apologised for letting it
slip to 0.88.

-- Feature roadmap/Fully comply with GPLv3:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Fully_comply_with_GPLv3

Someone phone the lawyers! No seriously, report any missing legal asci
and get it actioned. Developers know it’s (annoyingly) important even
if fixing bugs, making things work, and adding new features are
foremost in our minds.

-- Feature roadmap/Screen zoom:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Screen_zoom

No specific progress. But with Metacity in 0.86, I’m sure you can run
any old screen zooming software you care too. Smart, clever Sugar UI
integration will need to be for another day.

-- Feature roadmap/General UI sluggishness:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/General_UI_sluggishness

Again, more wet string but a laudable goal. For non-XO HW I believe
compositing is now enabled by default. Metacity is better supported
but I’ve seen no ‘better/worse’ response measurements for it (though
allegedly it does eat more memory than Matchbox did, so that’s not a
great sign). Lot’s of bug fixes and design  clean-up, but it’d take
some focused QA time to see if there are real measurable UI changes on
average, and you need to argue that against the improved feature set.
FWIW, I at least haven’t noticed a degradation in XO performance. But
this is a ‘needs testing’ item.

-- Feature roadmap/Faster task switching:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Faster_task_switching

Duplicate. See above.

-- Feature roadmap/Faster activity launch and save:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Faster_activity_launch_and_save

Duplicate. See above.

-- Feature roadmap/Shutdown menu:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Shutdown_menu

Paul Foxes powerd see current F11-on-XO1 implements this, best I can
tell.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/No power regressions:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/No_power_regressions

OK, so not just XO HW, but that’s the intended regression case here.
Paul Fox has done some wonderful stuff in powerd (XO, only is my
understanding), seemingly much more than in previous OLPC builds, you
can see it in action on F11-on-XO1. Though there is still active
discussion if OLPC will be shipping it in their builds.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Improved battery life:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Improved_battery_life

Again not just XO HW but that is the assumption given Sugar was not
reliably available elsewhere at the time. Duplicate, see above. Though
this does include a long shopping list touching just about every part
of HW, device driver level, screen, network, etc, etc you could
possibly try to mention.

-- Feature roadmap/Clipboard:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Clipboard

Hmmm, all information about this appears to have been purged from the
wiki. Must have been real good stuff ;-) FWIW: The Clipboard does now
show a preview of text you clipped making life easier if you have a
bunch of clippings in use.

-- Feature roadmap/Memory pressure:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Memory_pressure

Both 0.84 and 0.86 have introduced UI changes to improve reported
causes of memory pressure. The former implemented a home view that
resumes by default and so aid as a switch to current instances rather
than create new instances one after another. The latter implements the
new tool bar design that had a primary goal of always keeping the
“Stop” toolbar button visible so that folks didn’t get lost and could
stop existing activities clearly at all times. Though still no low
level resolution, once you stray into the woods Fangorn.

-- Feature roadmap/Journal never loses work:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Journal_never_loses_work

Activities improve all the time... And Tomeu did a top notch job on
the robust Journal re-implementation in 0.84. Unfortunately most
deployments still don’t have it and failures are from ~year + old
software :-(

-- XS Blueprints:Datastore Simple Backup and Restore:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Datastore_Simple_Backup_and_Restore

I haven’t seen this in action, but I understand this is available and
has been for some time (Martin can you comment?).

-- Feature roadmap/Image customization:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Image_customization

SoaS (distro) has re-raised many of these cases (random cloning of
already booted and hand hacked sticks has caused much QA traffic).
Many point seem more pertinent a question for the base OS distros, and
not Sugar, which seems pretty flexible in how it is customisable.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Image signing key delegation:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Image_signing_key_delegation

Done I think. And future XO-1.5 HW is unsigned by default as I
understand it.

-- Feature roadmap/Activation lease security:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Activation_lease_security

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status, though Martin seem
to be actively working on such stuff.

-- Feature roadmap/Theft reporting:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Theft_reporting

Duplicate. Pass, same as above.

-- Feature roadmap/Activation via wireless:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Activation_via_wireless

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status, though I do
remember reading about many such items being worked on (Martin again I
think).

-- Feature roadmap/XO monitoring:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/XO_monitoring

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status, some of this may
be possible now via the XS and client strings reported by Browse
(linked to activity.SL.org and XS registration processes). Also plenty
of discussion regarding the benefits and drawback of ‘assessment’
based on stat collection.

-- Feature roadmap/GUI OS updates:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/GUI_OS_updates

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status, though there is
ongoing work now that the update control panel had been picked up as
part of Sugar – mainly related to supporting the
activities.sugarlabs.org infrastructure. Full OS updates still seem a
fairly open question.

-- [XO HW] Feature roadmap/Faster imaging:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Faster_imaging

For the XO, can I just say Nand Blaster, lightning fast, robust, and
dead simple to use! All hail The Mitch!

-- Feature roadmap/Improved antitheft mechanisms:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Improved_antitheft_mechanisms

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status. Likely see Martin
re: above as well as he’s been working here recently.

-- Feature roadmap/Security and isolation work:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Security_and_isolation_work

Pass. Embarrassed to say I don’t know enough to comment on status.
Rainbow had fallen out of Sugar for a while, but I understand much of
the underlying work is now back in place. This is currently more an
area of regression than improvement.

-- Feature roadmap/Scalable server-based presence:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Scalable_server-based_presence

Long piece of wet string, again, work progresses... SoaS team have
recently been pushing on the server side to try and establish the weak
points. Gadget is implemented, but as yet no GUI for it on the Sugar
side.

-- Feature roadmap/School server push of XO images:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/School_server_push_of_XO_images

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status.

-- Feature roadmap/Automatically recognize XO on restore page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Automatically_recognize_XO_on_restore_page

Pass. Sorry don’t know enough to comment on status.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Wow, you made it down the page! I fibbed about the cold beer,
sorry, I needed it myself about two and a half pages back.