[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Assessment in Karma

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Aug 23 21:14:06 EDT 2009

Hi

We mostly assess that which can easily be measured rather than that which relates to the important education outcomes. Lower order skills as defined in Blooms Taxonomy, simple recall, rather than understanding and creating. So far its OK, an understandable response to the realities.

We then measure the effectiveness of education by these assessments. Teachers and students then concentrate on the learning which is more easily assessable. From generation to generation we are all embedded in this system and come to believe that that which is assessed is the goal of education.

Bad practice is already entrenched in national curricula, does automating bad practice (lower order assessment) mean that it can be done in less time, leaving more time for good practice, or does it further entrench bad practice? That seems to be the central point in this discussion. I don't have an answer, but for me, automating lower order assessments would be a low priority project.

Tony