[IAEP] Teaching science up through grades 7-8 .....Re: Physics - Lesson plans ideas?

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 22:51:10 EDT 2009

Pretty much everyone is behind the 8 ball here.
 -- Our human brains are bad at this kind of thinking (this is why we have been on the planet as a species for many 10's of 1000s of years before finding out how to do it).
 -- The teachers in the early grades are often not invested with how to do science and how to teach science.
 -- The children (and often the adults) lack the mathematical apparatus that allows scientific theories to be represented as models that can cover and predict over wide ranges.
 -- And it would be great to have a bigger bag of emotional payoffs for the many children who just aren't directly excited about finding out more about how the world works.
 -- The tough student teacher ratios make it difficult to deal with the very important individual styles of the students (and also how those styles match up to the styles of the teachers).
 -- And so forth.

On the other hand, we don't want to slide back to a kind of "Guitar Hero" which combines the use of technology with the loss of the subject, and is flashy enough so that unsophisticates could declare victory.

I think of all of this stuff (especially wrt children, but also in the pro adult game) as a larger "what's out there?" game that has 4 aspects (in historical order) Technology, Engineering, Math, Science (TEMS). Most adults who concentrate in one of these aspects wind up having to get fluent in the other 3 (even in the most ad hoc aspect of "technology" aka "tinkering"). For children one can hardly go wrong by thinking of these 4 aspects most of the time as one art form.

And I also think that trying to segregate out these aspects into separate subjects in not only not a good idea but in many cases some of the strongest routes to learning one of these often journey through the others.

For example, the logic of every kind of physical machine (including electrical ones) is not just strongly tied by necessity to science, but also to the internal logic of mathematics. Jerry Bruner and others have written persuasively about these connections.

This is one of the reasons I invariably urge teachers and parents to get strongly acquainted with the work of Arvind Gupta and his many books about "Toys From Trash". These "toys" are wonderful buildable little gems of engineering which often use a deep principle of "what's out there?" in order to work. These artifacts made by the children are great starting places for deeper "tougher" looks at what is going on.

I've justly lauded Papert many times on this list. He just had the most amazing insights into what children could understand and learn that was also profound and important. The computer provides a medium for kinds of mathematics that can be closer both to the situations being modeled and to the minds of the children who are trying to learn how to be both crisper and more general at the same time.

Another point here is that science is wide and deep, so "coverage" is not going to be successful. Probably better to aim for real depth on a few critical aspects of science. Find ways for the different styles of learners to get to that depth where the real thing is happening.

A "big project" that involves TEMS can be one way to get to depth. The NY public school I attended for 7th and 8th grades was nothing special to put it mildly. But Cortland Street in the city had many surplus electronics stores where "raw stuff" could be bought for a few mowings of lawns. I and a few friends got very enamored of high voltage as 12 year olds and we were able to find how to books, stuff to wind coils and make huge capacitors, etc., to make a series of Tesla Coils. 5 years later my brother got into van de Graaf generators, etc.

We were hampered by not having a lot of help from adults, so getting beyond "T" was difficult. But a good Tesla Coil actually can't really be tinkered together, so we had to learn a lot more about engineering than we thought in the beginning. The science was more difficult, particularly because the first coils we made were quite dangerously unstable -- they needed something like a vacuum tube oscillator rather than the tank circuits that Tesla used (eventually we wound up using a push-pull oscillator using RCA transmitting triodes that could handle a lot of power). I was the most mathematical of the 12 year olds, but I didn't know calculus at that time and we were somewhat limited to using formulas from the CRC tables. However, we were smart enough to do some experiments and to get a better sense of just how these very high frequency high voltage oscillators with huge secondary ratio "kind of " worked.

A few years later doing electronics at Brooklyn Technical High School I realized that only some of what we found out for ourselves and by reading was good for us. All in all, having an adult we could reliably go to with questions would have allowed us to get further, do more designs and experiments.

But my bottom line opinion is that a physical payoff for doing a little real science and real math that energizes a lot of technology and engineering is pretty darn thrilling for most kids.

The children who did the real world gravity science got quite a payoff from building their simulations in computer stuff (and being able to use their gravity model to fire projectiles, make games such as Lunar Lander and Shoot The Alien, etc.). But I could imagine other real science projects that would pay off in construction projects in the real world.

There are so many very "complete components" available today that the "T" in Tinkering is starting to act the part of the technology in Guitar Hero. It is possible to make something in real world hardware or computer world software in which nothing interesting and important needs to be learned, nor is learned. Many well meaning projects involving robots, or rockets, are of this sort. (This is rampant in the semi and pro worlds of computing today, and has seriously undermined many school programs.)

It's up to those in the system who understand TEMS to make sure that what's special about each of the aspects is not lost to "T". And it's up to the system to make sure that these important vitally needed people are a part of it.

Best wishes,

Alan