[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Assessment in Karma

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Aug 20 21:58:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 09:57 +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> 2009/8/19 NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>:
> >
> >>  - Automatic assessment is snake oil, Bryan is well intentioned but
> >> deeply wrong. See the earlier email at
> >> http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg05584.html

I agree that automatic assessment is no magic cure-all but it does free
teachers from a lot of drudgery in grading worksheets.

Teachers should be grading student essays not arithmetic exercises or
vocabulary exercises.

We especially need automatic assessment for contexts where teachers
don't have time to grade homework, like Nepal, India, Pakistan, etc.

I think that Karma is approaching from a much different vantage point
than teachers in the developed world do. We are not looking to capture
"excellence" but rather diagnose if kids are having trouble with basic
skills and give kids instant feedback rather than make them wait a week
to get their graded homework back, if it ever comes back.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director